1. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp.
Remove bacon from pan. Add oil and onion to drippings
in pan; cook 15 minutes or until onion is browned and very
tender, stirring occasionally. Add 3 tablespoons bourbon,
vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook 2 minutes or until liquid
almost evaporates, stirring constantly. Remove amixture
from pan. Cool 5 minutes.
2. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons bourbon, ketchup,
and next 7 ingredients
(through onion powder) in a small
saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat;
simmer 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
3. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
4. Coarsely chop 3/4 cup onion mixture; stir into beef. Divide
beef mixture into 6 equal portions, gently shaping each
portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Press a nickel-sized
indentation in center of each patty. Sprinkle evenly with
remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place patties on grill rack
coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or
until desired degree of doneness.
5. Spread each top and bottom bun half with 1 tablespoon
sauce. Place patties on bottom halves; top each
patty with 1 tomato slice. Divide remaining
onion mixture evenly among servings. Top each
serving with 1/2 bacon slice and top half of bun.
• 3 bacon slices
• 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 cups vertically sliced red onion
• 5 tablespoons bourbon, divided
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
• 1/2 cup lower-sodium ketchup
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 2 teaspoons honey
• 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 1/2 pounds 90% lean ground sirloin
• Cooking spray
• 6 (1 1/2-ounce) French bread hamburger buns
• 6 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato