1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Coat
pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; sauté 4 minutes
on each side. Place skillet in oven; bake at 425°F for 10
minutes or until done. Remove chicken from pan; let stand
15 minutes. Remove meat from bones; shred. Discard bones.
Place chicken in a medium bowl. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons
cilantro, corn, and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper)
to chicken; toss to combine.
3. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup onion; sauté
5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 3 garlic cloves; sauté 30
seconds, stirring constantly. Add onion mixture to chicken
mixture; stir to combine.
4. Combine remaining 1 1/2 cups onion, remaining 3 garlic
cloves, broth, salsa, 1/4 cup water, and jalapeño in a medium
saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce
heat, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove
from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Carefully pour mixture into a
blender; add 2 tablespoons cilantro. Process until smooth.
5. 5. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tortillas;
cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Remove tortillas from pan;
repeat procedure with remaining tortillas. Cut tortillas into
6. Spread 1/2 cup salsa mixture in the bottom of an 8-inch square
glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Arrange 12 tortilla quarters over salsa mixture. Spoon half
of chicken mixture over tortillas. Repeat layers,
ending with tortillas. Pour remaining salsa mixture
over tortillas; sprinkle evenly with cheddar cheese.
Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes or until bubbly and
lightly browned. Top with remaining cilantro.
WHILE OVEN PREHEATS,
cook and shred chicken. Make the chicken
filling for casserole.
WHILE SALSA IS COOKING,
heat the tortillas.
• Cooking spray
• 4 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
• 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
• 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
• 1/3 cup (3 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
• 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 cups chopped onion, divided
• 6 garlic cloves, minced and divided
• 1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
• 2/3 cup salsa verde
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeño pepper
• 9 (6-inch) corn tortillas
• 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded sharp cheddar cheese