1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high
heat. Add onion; sauté 10 minutes or until tender
and golden. Add chili powder, garlic, and cumin;
sauté for 2 minutes. Add oregano and beans; cook
for 30 seconds. Add broth; bring to a simmer.
Cook 20 minutes.
2. Place 2 cups of bean mixture in a blender or
food processor, and process until smooth. Return
pureed mixture to pan. Add turkey, and cook 5
minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from
heat. Add diced tomato, chopped cilantro, lime
juice, salt, and pepper, stirring well. Garnish with
lime wedges, if desired.
Cannelinin beans will work in a pinch if you
cannot find Great Northern beans.
Pureeing the bean mixture makes the soup
thicker and gives it more body.
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 2 cups diced yellow onion (about 2 medium)
• 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 3 (15.8-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed
and drained (certified gluten-free if necessary)
• 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
• 3 cups chopped cooked turkey
• 1/2 cup diced seeded plum tomato (about 1)
• 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 8 lime wedges (optional)