1. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Add steak
to pan, and cook 2 1/2 minutes on each side or
until desired degree of doneness. Remove the
steak from pan, and let stand 5 minutes. Cut
steak across grain into thin slices.
2. Combine mayonnaise and pesto, stirring until
well blended. Spread mayonnaise mixture
evenly over cut sides of bread. Layer bottom
half of bread with arugula, red onion, steak,
and tomato; top with top half of bread. Cut
sandwich diagonally into 4 equal pieces.
Don’t cut into the steak until you’re ready
to serve. This will keep the juice in and the
meat as moist as possible!
• 1 (12-ounce) boneless beef sirloin steak (about
1 inch thick), trimmed
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons refrigerated pesto sauce
• 1 (12-ounce) piece white or whole-grain
baguette, split in half horizontally
• 1 cup packed baby arugula (about 1 ounce)
• 3 (1/8-inch-thick) red onion slices
• 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced lengthwise